Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Believe What They Do

When people show you who they are, believe them.
Maya Angelou
Actions speak louder than words.  People say what they want others to think or perceive of them; but the truth is, we are what we do.  We poke fun at those living in the limelight, but if a camera followed us around for a mere week, we'd be shocked ... maybe horrified ... by the footage.  

I have a friend who happens to also be a writer.  People are often intimidated by his brilliance, but he is one of the kindest people I know.  Driving one morning, a woman flagged him down.  He pulled over and asked if she needed help.  She hurriedly got into his car and gave him an address (this was early morning, before much traffic).  As he drove to her destination, it occurred to him ... she's a prostitute.  She looked disheveled, but mostly tired.  He asked to buy her breakfast, she accepted.  At the restaurant, my friend preceded to pull out her chair and help with her coat.  She flinched, and sat down.  Tears welled up in her eyes, "I've never had a man treat me like a lady before," proof of a true gentleman.

I can't count the times I've witnessed rude treatment of waitstaff.  That's why I love going to dinners or having drinks with people.  I want to see how they interact with waiters/staff.  It speaks volumes and helps me choose who I want in or out of my life.  So, this is my advice to girls (or guys) who are dating; watch, see, and believe how he treats your waiter ... if he's a jerk to him, chances are, he's only a step away from being one to you.  Why wait around for that to happen?