Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Form Follows Function?

So here is something I've been working on ... selecting new furnishings for my home.  I enjoy doing this for others, but find it difficult for myself.  Don't get me wrong, I know what I like, it's not that.  It's the idea of living with something for a while.  Anything with a sense of permanency is hard.  And lets face it, you can't just tuck away a new dining table in the back of the closet very easily.  

Why so arduous you ask?  Firstly, I rarely buy what I don't absolutely want.  Secondly, I am always searching for that "great find."  And thirdly, I don't want regret.  Once I make a decision, I don't like to later realize it was the wrong one.  At times, I don't make a decision at all ... which I guess, in and of itself, is a decision.  And I don't like filler or transient pieces.  I'd much rather live in a bare room with a single amazing chair, versus one filled, to simply be functional.  I want thoughtful selections.  This is all well and good, except when practicality is an issue.   

I realize there's nothing to sweat here, just where I'm at.  So what did I go and do?  Came home with an amazing mirrored brass side table with beautiful patina.  Didn't need it at all, but oh, can't imagine living without it now.